Red Bean Chili Bake
A Patagonia Provisions Snack Patrol masterpiece- created, baked, and topped to perfection. Loaded with nutrients and flavor, this is a crowd favorite.
INGREDIENTS FOR 4-6 SERVINGS
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package of Patagonia Provisions Red Bean Chili
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup roasted salsa
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Optional toppings: sour cream, chopped green onion, avocado, cotija cheese
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Lightly grease an 8 x 8 baking dish. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium sized pan, heat oil. Add onion, bell pepper, tomato, carrot and garlic and sauté over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan and bring to a boil. Add contents of Patagonia Provisions Red Bean Chili package. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and cover for 9 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cornmeal, salt and remaining water (1 cup) and stir together.
- Cook cornmeal mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and pulls away from the sides of the dish (about 5 minutes).
- Pour 2/3 of cornmeal mixture into the baking dish. Using a spoon, evenly spread mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the dish.
- Return to the cooked Chili mixture. Add your favorite salsa and lime juice, stir to combine.
- Pour cooked Chili mixture over the top of the cornmeal base.
- Crumble remaining cornmeal mixture over Chili layer.
- Evenly sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 – 35 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Garnish and serve with a dollop of sour cream, sliced avocado, green onion and a sprinkling of cotija cheese (optional).