Red Bean Chili Bake
A Patagonia Provisions Snack Patrol masterpiece—created, baked and topped to perfection. Loaded with nutrients and flavor, this is a crowd favorite.
Skill level: medium
Makes 4-6 SERVINGS
- 1 package Patagonia Provisions Red Bean Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup roasted tomato salsa
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Sour cream, chopped green onion, sliced avocado, crumbled cotija cheese for garnish (optional)
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Lightly grease an 8 x 8 baking dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium pan, heat oil. Add onion, bell pepper, tomato, carrot and garlic and sauté over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Add contents of Red Bean Chili package and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and cover for 9 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cornmeal, salt and 1 cup water and stir together.
- Cook cornmeal mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and pulls away from the sides of the pan (approx. 5 minutes).
- Pour 2/3 of cornmeal mixture into baking dish, reserving 1/3 of the mixture to make a topping. Using a wooden spoon, evenly spread mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the dish to form a crust.
- To the pan of cooked chili mixture, add salsa and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Pour chili mixture over the cornmeal base.
- Top evenly with grated cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Garnish witha dollop of sour cream, sliced avocado, green onion and cotija cheese if desired.