Kernza® Fusilli Pasta Salad
Kernza is a wheatlike perennial grain that builds topsoil, draws down carbon and helps prevent erosion. We blend it with semolina to make a nutty, buttery-tasting fusilli that’s delicious in this kid-friendly pasta salad. The salad is also sturdy enough to last in a lunchbox at room temperature for a day.
Just about any vegetable will work here, so go ahead and customize the ingredients to suit your kids’ tastes. Using at least three different vegetables, plus cheese, keeps it interesting.
- 1 ½ cups small broccoli florets (from about ½ lb. broccoli)
- 4 oz. Patagonia Provisions Kernza Fusilli
- ½ cup diced Persian or English cucumber
- ½ cup slivered red bell pepper
- ¼ cup large basil leaves, stacked, rolled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup canned black olives, sliced
- ½ cup Sungold tomatoes, halved
- 3 oz. part-skim mozzarella, diced small
- Fresh Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Fresh Lemon Vinaigrette
In a small bowl or jar, combine 1½ tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. lemon zest, ½ tsp. each kosher salt, Dijon mustard and honey, and a few grinds of black pepper. Let sit a few minutes to let the salt dissolve. Pour in ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil and whisk or shake to blend. Taste by swishing a piece of cooked pasta through the vinaigrette, then adjust the seasonings if you like.
Putting It All Together
- Bring a medium pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add broccoli florets and cook for about 2 minutes, just until barely tender (they’ll keep cooking off the heat). With a strainer, scoop out the broccoli and add to a large bowl.
- With the water boiling, add pasta and cook until very tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain into a colander and let cool a little. This pasta firms up as it cools.
- Meanwhile, chop up the rest of the vegetables and the cheese; add them to the broccoli. Make the vinaigrette.
- Pour the pasta into the vegetables. Whisk the dressing again and pour over the pasta. Gently but thoroughly, mix everything together.