Avocado Toast with Wild Salmon and Turmeric Egg
Gastroenterologist Emeran Mayer, author of the best-selling book The Mind-Gut Connection (2016), gave us this recipe. Turmeric, which minimizes gut inflammation, tints the eggs a brilliant sunset hue. The eggs themselves, along with plant-derived fat (from avocado) and proteins from salmon, give this breakfast lots of staying power. Dr. Mayer suggests having these eggs with a bowl of fruit and a cup or two of coffee brewed with freshly ground beans, which are high in polyphenols.
- 1½ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 large egg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large slice whole-grain sourdough bread
- ½ ripe avocado
- 3 oz. flaked Patagonia Provisions Wild Sockeye Salmon (Original or Lemon Pepper)
- Chopped cilantro
Putting It All Together
- Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add turmeric and let it sizzle for a second.
- Crack in egg and a drop or two of water. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook until egg is done the way you like, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Toast bread and mash avocado on top.
- Layer with salmon, then egg and cilantro.