Savory Sofrito Empanadas
This empanada recipe is inspired by the traditional pastries first created in the beautiful coastal region of Galicia, Spain – the very same region where we harvest our organic mussels.
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
MAKES: 8 EMPANADAS
- 2 cans Patagonia Provisions Savory Sofrito Mussels, drained
- 1 package ready-to-bake biscuit dough
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- All-purpose flour
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Preheat oven according to directions for biscuit dough (usually 375°F).
- Place mussels in a medium bowl. Add olives and mix gently.
- Dust cutting board or clean surface with flour. Take each biscuit and roll out to a 6” diameter. Dust with flour as needed.
- Fill each biscuit round with mussel mixture, approx. 4-5 mussels in each. Fold biscuit dough over to create a half moon shape and crimp the edges tightly with a fork. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small cup, beat egg with 1 tablespoon of water until well combined and frothy. Brush each empanada with egg mixture.
- Bake empanadas until golden brown, approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot.