Savory Sofrito Mussel Empanadas
This empanada recipe is inspired by the traditional pastries first created in the beautiful coastal region of Galicia, Spain—the very same region where we harvest Provisions Mussels.
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
MAKES 8 EMPANADAS
- 2 cans Patagonia Provisions Savory Sofrito Mussels, drained
- ½ cup pitted green olives, drained and chopped coarse
- 1 package ready-to-bake biscuit dough
- 1 egg
- All-purpose flour
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Preheat oven according to directions for biscuit dough (usually 375°F).
- Place Mussels in a medium bowl. Add olives and mix gently.
- Dust cutting board or clean surface with flour. Take each biscuit and roll out to a 6” diameter. Dust with flour as needed.
- Fill each biscuit round with mussel mixture, approx. 4-5 mussels in each. Fold biscuit dough over to create a half-moon shape and crimp the edges tightly with a fork. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small cup, beat egg with 1 tbsp water until well combined and frothy. Brush each empanada with egg mixture.
- Bake empanadas until golden brown, approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot.