Soup + Chili
About Our Organic Soup and Chili
We build our soups and chilis to be, first and foremost, delicious. Layered with rich flavors and hearty textures, they’re satisfying in an almost meaty way, while being completely vegan. If you’re looking for an easy way to eat more organic food, our soups fit the bill.
We start most of our soups with a base of organic legumes, which provide plenty of plant-based protein and fiber—while also naturally “fixing” nitrogen into the soil, allowing farmers to skip soil-damaging synthetic fertilizers. Organic whole grains, often grown in rotation with legumes, provide more protein, vitamins and fiber. Nutritious organic vegetables add bright, fresh flavor and color, and carefully chosen seasonings bring all the ingredients together in one satisfying bowl.
Our organic soups and chilis don’t have any artificial ingredients, fillers or preservatives. In other words, you can recognize—and yes, pronounce—everything on the label. What’s more, they’re freeze dried and shelf stable, so you can stash them in your kitchen cupboard for tasty last-minute meals whenever you want. And of course, because compact and lightweight—just a few ounces per pack, our soups are ideal for camping and backpacking.
Which Soup for You?
Each of our soups has its own distinct character, so here’s a brief guide to help you choose. We also offer sampler packs if you can’t make up your mind (and there’s a price break per soup). Our combo packs, like our Soup and Breakfast Grains combo and our Camp Meal Kit, are a fun way to try the soups along with other Provisions (also for less than purchasing each item individually).
Organic Green Lentil Soup: Velvety and gently seasoned, like a good homemade soup; easy to like. Tender green lentils, with bulgur wheat, onions, bell pepper, garlic and ginger adding fiber and flavor.
Organic Black Bean Soup: A rich, thick mix of whole and puréed organic black beans, with sweet corn kernels and spicy chipotle chiles for even more flavor and texture.
Organic Tsampa Soup: Tsampa is a highly nutritious, energizing mountain barley that’s a staple in the Himalaya. Our soup brings together whole sprouted and roasted barley grains, plus toasted buckwheat, vegetables and seasonings. Based on a recipe from Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard.
Organic Red Bean Chili: Made from whole beans, tomatoes, bell peppers and spices; has the heft and flavor of slow-cooked homemade chili, but is ready in minutes.
Organic Spicy Red Bean Chili: For layers of flavor and heat, we spike our original red bean chili with three different chiles: fierce cayenne, smoky chipotle and mellow, toasty Aji Molido.
Ways to Eat Our Soups
The basic prep is the same for all: Simmer gently in water for 10 minutes. Or, to save fuel on the trail, boil the soup for 1 minute, turn off the heat, and let sit, covered, for 9 minutes. They’re all delicious eaten just as they are, but lend themselves to lots of different toppings and stir-ins, too. Here are some suggestions.
- Top with fresh spinach leaves, black pepper and a squeeze of lemon
- Top with sliced or crumbled browned sausage (vegan or regular) and chopped parsley
- Top with cilantro and avocado, plus cotija, feta, mozzarella or jack cheese
- Spread inside a hefty Breakfast Burrito
- Blend into a vegan Black Bean Burger
- Top with Provisions Wild Sockeye Salmon, grated parmesan cheese and a swirl of extra-virgin olive oil (Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard’s favorite way to eat this soup)
- Top with roasted seasoned butternut squash cubes
- Top with a sunnyside-up farm egg and a sprinkle of ground chile
- Pour over a grilled hot dog
- Use as a vegetarian taco filling (make with half the water, and add onions + cheese)
- Pour over warm polenta and add cheddar and green onions
- Serve to a crowd, with grated cheddar, green onions, sour cream and seasoned ground buffalo
- Stir up a rich and spicy Chili Cheese Dip (don’t forget the chips)
Why Buy from Patagonia Provisions?
We make delicious, nutritious, organic and regenerative foods that help solve urgent environmental problems. Our supply chains draw down carbon, restore topsoil and increase biodiversity, building models other producers can use too. We donate 1% of all sales to the protection and restoration of our home planet, and we were are a certified B corporation.