Wild Salmon Burgers with Margherita Pizza Crackers
Where’s the crackers, you ask? Crumbled up and coating the burgers, to make them crisp. They’re also in the burgers, binding the ingredients together instead of breadcrumbs.
Serve these flavorful beauties on their own with a green vegetable, salad or oven fries, and maybe a dollop of chile mayo (stir a little of your favorite chile sauce into your favorite mayo and squeeze in some lime or lemon). As you might expect, the burgers taste just fine in a toasted bun, too, slathered with some of that chile mayo.
- 2 oz. Patagonia Provisions Margherita Pizza Organic Crackers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped fine
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped fine, plus more for topping
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. hot red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 (6 oz) packs Patagonia Provisions Wild Sockeye Salmon (Original), skin removed and salmon broken up into fine flakes
- 2 tbsp. canola oil (or any oil suitable for high heat)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Putting It All Together
- Crush the crackers into fine crumbs using a food processor or a mortar and pestle. You should end up with about 6 tbsp. crumbs.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg with the flour, bell pepper, onion, 1 tbsp. parsley, 3 tbsp. cracker crumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice and chili flakes (if using). Add salmon and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into 4-in-wide patties. Lightly coat the patties with the rest of the breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium–high heat. When it’s shimmering, fry patties 3-4 at a time until golden brown on both sides, about 8 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with more parsley if you like.