Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard was introduced to tsampa by Sherpa friends in Nepal in the 1970s. He quickly discovered how energized he felt after eating this highly nutritious mountain-barley staple. The experience inspired our own Organic Tsampa Soup, a natural, vegan dry soup mix of whole sprouted and roasted barley grains, plus toasted buckwheat, vegetables and seasonings. Tsampa Soup is naturally delicious on its own and makes a great organic base for creative toppings, too.
- 2.8 oz (79g) pack
- Servings per pack: 2
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Shelf stable
Nutrition + Ingredients
Servings Per Container 2
Calories 120 (Calories from Fat 10)
Total Fat 0g (0% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 0g (0%)
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg (0%)
Sodium 470mg (20%)
Total Carbohydrate 24g (8%)
Dietary Fiber 5g (20%)
- Good source of fiber
- 29 g of whole grains per serving
- No sugar added
- Low fat
organic roasted sprouted barley, organic toasted buckwheat, organic onion*, organic carrots*, organic natural flavor, organic yeast extract, salt, organic red bell pepper*, organic freeze-dried kale, organic ground rice hulls, organic portabella mushrooms*, organic sunflower oil *dehydrated
Manufactured in a facility that also processes egg, milk, wheat, soy and tree nuts.
- Certified organic
- Non-GMO Project Verified
Product Details + Sourcing
- Tsampa, a mainstay of Himalayan cuIture and cooking, is mountain barley that is first sprouted, then roasted and pounded into flour. Often it’s mixed with tea and rolled into balls for a nutritionally dense, portable snack that has sustained Sherpas on their climbs for generations.
- The non-GMO barley in our Organic Tsampa Soup is responsibly sourced from the plains of Saskatchewan, Canada. Then it’s sprouted and roasted in Montana following the traditional Himalayan method.
- Our buckwheat for Tsampa Soup also comes from Saskatchewan. This highly useful plant builds healthy soil, prevents erosion and attracts beneficial insects and pollinators.
- Learn more about our Grains Sourcing.
- Certified B®️ Corporation
- 1% for the Planet®️
How to Make
- As a hot soup: Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium pot. Stir in Organic Tsampa Soup. Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. To save fuel on the trail, boil soup 1 minute, remove from heat, cover, and let sit 9 minutes.
- Yvon Chouinard’s favorite topping: Extra-virgin olive oil, Provisions Wild Sockeye Salmon, and grated parmesan cheese.
- Check out our Soups recipes for more ways to top and eat Tsampa Soup
A Different Kind of Food Business
Everything we make is created to help solve the environmental crisis. To restore our depleted oceans and soils, we use regenerative practices that are often based on pre-industrial ways of growing and harvesting. The bonus: delicious, nutritious wild and organic foods, free from pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and GMOs.
The Patagonia Provisions Guarantee
We stand by the foods we produce.
If you aren’t completely satisfied with any of our foods, we’re more than happy to make it right with a refund*.
How to make a return
*Wine, cider, sake are non-refundable but we are happy to replace any damaged orders.