We make this delicious pasta with Kernza®, a revolutionary new grain. Unlike most grain varieties, which must be planted annually, Kernza is perennial, meaning it stays rooted in place from year to year. Its deep root system prevents erosion, nourishes the soil, draws down carbon, and produces slender grains full of warm, nutty flavor— just right for pasta.
We combine Kernza flour with semolina for a pleasingly springy texture, then use bronze dies to shape and create a rough surface on our fusilli. The uneven surface allows sauces to cling, saturating each forkful with flavor.
- 14 oz (397g) box
- Servings per box: 7
Nutrition + Ingredients
- Good source of fiber (10% DV)
- 9 g protein per serving
- Low fat
- No added sugar
organic durum semolina flour, organic kernza flour, water
- USDA Certified Organic
Product Details + Sourcing
- We use flour milled from organic Kernza perennial grain, a revolutionary new crop that can change the way we grow grains.
- Annual grains like wheat, rice and corn require tilling, which disrupts soil and releases planet-warming carbon. Being a perennial, Kernza stays rooted in place from year to year, minimizing tilling.
- Kernza plants have massive root systems that can reach 12 feet in length.
- These roots prevent topsoil from eroding and nourish billions of microbes that help keep planet-warming carbon underground.
- The Kernza for Patagonia Provisions' pasta is organically grown and milled in the American Midwest.
- To make the fusilli, we blend Kernza flour with organic semolina flour. The resulting pasta has the fresh, nutty flavor and environmental benefits of Kernza, and the pleasingly springy texture of semolina.
- Our pasta is cut and shaped with bronze dies, giving it a rough surface that allows sauces to cling instead of slide off.
- Learn more about our Kernza sourcing
- Pasta box is made with 100% recycled fiber (diverted from waste stream) and is recyclable.
- Certified B®️ Corporation
- 1% for the Planet®️
How to Make
- To cook the pasta: Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta and stir. Boil, uncovered, just until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and add sauce and toppings.
- Seasoned with butter or olive oil, plus chopped toasted walnuts
- Topped with wild salmon
- Mixed with Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard’s Blue Cheese Sauce
- In an oven-browned pasta bake, covered with sizzling melted cheese
- Swirled with rich, nutty pesto
- Combined with seasonal vegetables and tinned fish
A Different Kind of Food Business
Everything we make is created to help solve the environmental crisis. To restore our depleted oceans and soils, we use regenerative practices that are often based on pre-industrial ways of growing and harvesting. The bonus: delicious, nutritious wild and organic foods, free from pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and GMOs.
The Patagonia Provisions Guarantee
We stand by the foods we produce.
If you aren’t completely satisfied with any of our foods, we’re more than happy to make it right with a refund*.
How to make a return
*Wine, cider, sake are non-refundable but we are happy to replace any damaged orders.