Inspired by a gaucho recipe that Patagonia’s founder, Yvon Chouinard, tasted more than 50 years ago, our signature spice blend gets its mellow heat from Organic Aji Molido, our ground red chile from Argentina. Mix it up into a quick chimichurri sauce for grilled vegetables or meats, or use as a dry rub (see “Ways to Eat,” below).
- 1.25 oz (35g) box with inner sleeve
- Contains: about ⅓ cup
- Shelf stable
Nutrition + Ingredients
organic aji molido chile*, organic red bell pepper*, organic oregano*, organic basil*, organic parsley*, organic garlic*, organic paprika*, organic onion*, organic black pepper, organic thyme*, organic lemon verbena* *dehydrated
Manufactured in a facility that also processes milk, eggs, tree nuts, wheat and soy.
- USDA Organic
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- Kosher: Kof-K
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative®️ (box only)
Product Details + Sourcing
- Our Chimichurri Spice Blend stars aji molido, the ground form of an intensely flavorful Argentinian chile called aji criollo.
- Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard first tasted chimichurri sauce in 1968, while camping with Argentine gauchos. For years afterward in California, he tried to grow aji criollo so he could replicate the sauce, but the chiles always turned out too spicy.
- Finally we found an ideal source, on a family farm at 8,200 feet in the rugged Salta province.
- Our farm partners credit a combo of extreme altitude, dry air, scanty irrigation and limestone soil with giving our aji criollo its deep flavor. The relatively mild climate tempers the chile’s heat.
- Learn More about our Spices Sourcing.
- Spice box is made with Forest Stewardship Council–certified paper and is recyclable. The transparent inner sleeve is NatureFlex™, a non-GMO bioplastic from FSC-certified eucalyptus trees.
- Certified B®️ Corporation
- 1% for the Planet®️
How to Make
- Yvon’s favorite chimichurri sauce: In a measuring cup, combine 3 tbsp. spice blend, 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil and ½ tsp. salt. Fill to the 1-cup line with red wine vinegar. Shake in a jar (or an old wine bottle). If it’s too tangy, add ½ tsp. honey; to add brightness, stir in plenty of minced fresh garlic, oregano and/or parsley.
- Use as a dry rub for vegetables, especially squash and potatoes
- Check out our Spices Recipes
A Different Kind of Food Business
Everything we make is created to help solve the environmental crisis. To restore our depleted oceans and soils, we use regenerative practices that are often based on pre-industrial ways of growing and harvesting. The bonus: delicious, nutritious wild and organic foods, free from pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and GMOs.
The Patagonia Provisions Guarantee
We stand by the foods we produce.
If you aren’t completely satisfied with any of our foods, we’re more than happy to make it right with a refund*.
How to make a return
*Wine, cider, sake are non-refundable but we are happy to replace any damaged orders.
Chasing A Flavor
A years-long quest to find the right chile
Los Glaciares National Park, Argentina.
Photo by Chris Jones