We partner with Hopworks Urban Brewery in Portland, OR, to make this Northwest-style pale ale, characterized by a refreshing grapefruit characte, balanced maltiness and dry, crisp finish. The brew’s subtle spiciness comes from Kernza® perennial grain, a revolutionary new crop that fights the climate crisis.
Long Root®️ Pale Ale, Long Root®️ Wit, and Long Root®️ IPA, all brewed with Kernza, will continue to be available in Asia, at Patagonia stores in Japan and select Japanese retailers.
- ABV: 5.5%
- BPA free
Nutrition + Ingredients
organic 2-row barley malt, Kernza® perennial grain, organic c-40 malt, organic Cascade hops, organic Azacca hops, organic Perle hops, organic Fuggle hops
- Oregon Tilth
Product Details + Sourcing
- Long Root® Pale Ale is brewed at Hopworks Urban Brewery in Portland, OR. This beer was the first commercial use of Kernza® perennial grain on the market.
- A Northwest-style pale ale, it’s brewed with organic two-row barley, organic yeast, organic Chinook, Mosaic and Crystal hops, and Kernza grain.
- The organic barley comes from Klamath Falls, Oregon, and the organic Perle and Fuggle hops are from local farms within 2 hours of the brewery.
- The Kernza, a distant relative of wheat, is grown using organic practices in the American Midwest.
- Kernza was developed by plant breeders at The Land Institute in Salina, Kansas. This revolutionary new crop could change the way we grow grains.
- Most food crops are annuals and require tilling, which releases atmosphere-warming carbon. As a deeply rooted perennial, Kernza stays in place year-round, drawing carbon underground.
- Kernza’s massive roots hold topsoil in place, preventing erosion. The roots also host trillions of beneficial microbes, which build soil health.
- With our organic barley, hops, and regenerative Kernza grain (which we use for pasta, too), we’re supporting farming that restores the earth instead of depleting it.
- Learn More about our Kernza Sourcing
- Can is 100% aluminum, BPA-free and recyclable
- Certified B®️ Corporation
- 1% for the Planet®️
- The Land Institute
A Different Kind of Food Business
Everything we make is created to help solve the environmental crisis. To restore our depleted oceans and soils, we use regenerative practices that are often based on pre-industrial ways of growing and harvesting. The bonus: delicious, nutritious wild and organic foods, free from pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and GMOs.
The Patagonia Provisions Guarantee
We stand by the foods we produce.
If you aren’t completely satisfied with any of our foods, we’re more than happy to make it right with a refund*.
How to make a return
*Wine, cider, sake are non-refundable but we are happy to replace any damaged orders.