Spicy Black Bean Dip
A satisfying and healthy vegan recipe for sharing with friends in camp or at home, based on one from Big Delicious Planet in Chicago. Make it at home and pack it in the cooler, or put it together in camp. Leftover dip works great in tacos or quesadillas instead of refried beans.
- 1 pack Patagonia Provisions Organic Black Bean Soup
- About 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup each finely chopped white onion and poblano chile
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped seeded jalapeño chile (leave seeds in for spicier dip)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice (from 1-2 limes), plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro, plus a few leaves for topping
- Tortilla chips (or crackers) and cut-up raw vegetables
Putting It All Together
- Put black bean soup mix in a heatproof bowl. Stir in 1 ¼ cups of boiling water. Cover and let sit for at least 10 minutes and up to an hour.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and both chiles. Cook until softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in garlic and garam masala, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Combine hydrated soup mix, onion mixture, lime juice and salt. Add more lime juice and salt to taste, plus more water if it’s too thick.
- Fold in cilantro and top with cilantro leaves.
- Serve with chips and/or crackers and vegetables.