Mushroom Parmesan Savory Scones
Organically grown KAMUT® Khorasan wheat, a golden, large-kerneled ancient strain of wheat, is the star ingredient in these tender scones. Because KAMUT is grown in rotation with cover crops and legumes, it helps build soil health.
Eat the scones hot from the oven or split and toasted, for brunch, lunch, dinner, or any time in between. They’re good as a stand-in for a dinner roll (especially as a Christmas side for turkey or roast beef), or as their own thing, split and topped with ham and cheese or scrambled eggs.
Make Ahead: About a week in an airtight container at room temperature. These scones freeze really well, too.
- 1 pack Patagonia Provisions Organic Mushroom + KAMUT® Khorasan Wheat Savory Grains
- ¾ cup milk plus 1 tbsp.
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives (optional)
Putting It All Together
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Put grains in a heatproof bowl. Bring ¾ cup milk to a simmer, then pour over grains. Stir in sour cream. Cover and let sit 20 minutes. Whisk 1 egg with a fork and stir that in too. If you have time, let it sit for up to an hour more (the dough will a little less sticky and easier to handle).
- Meanwhile, whisk flour, salt and baking powder together. Add butter cubes and smoosh between your fingers, tossing every now and then with the flour, until mixture looks like a coarse meal with flakes of butter. Stir in cheese and chives, if using.
- Add grains mixture to flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon just until the dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface (it will be sticky). With wet hands, flatten into a disk about 7 inches wide. With a wet knife, cut into 8 wedges.
- Set the wedges on a baking sheet (a thin wide spatula, also wet, helps lift them), at least an inch apart. Beat remaining egg with the tablespoon of milk to make an egg wash. Brush the tops and sides of the scones with the egg wash so they’ll brown better in the oven.
- Bake scones until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.