Kale and Carrot Salad with Tsampa Vinaigrette
The ingenious salad dressing here came from Hiro Ohno, a pro surfer, caterer, and owner of Natural Law, a granola shop in Kamakura, Japan. Its crunch and spice and sheer umami makes kale salad seem new all over again. Make the vinaigrette first so the grains soften a little and flavor the oil while you’re dealing with the greens.
- 1 medium bunch dinosaur (lacinato) kale
- 1 medium bunch curly green kale or purple kale
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely shredded
- Tsampa Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
Putting It All Together
- Tear the kale greens off their tough central stems, rinse and dry. Chop very roughly and put in a large bowl (you should have 10 to 11 cups of loosely packed kale).
- Add the salt, pour on the oil, and scrunch the leaves with your hands until they start to get tender, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the carrots and drizzle with vinaigrette.
Makes about ⅓ cup
- 2 heaping tbsp. Organic Tsampa Soup mix
- 2 heaping tbsp. Organic Green Lentil Soup mix
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- About ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
Put the first 3 ingredients in a small jar and let sit 5 minutes (or longer) to soften a little. Add oil, screw on lid, and shake to blend. Taste and add more lemon and salt if you like.