Hearty Breakfast Grains Muffins
Warm up your morning with these hearty breakfast grains muffins. Mix it up by folding chopped nuts, dried or frozen fruit, or citrus zest into the batter right before they go into the oven.
- 1 pouch Patagonia Provisions Breakfast Grains (any flavor)
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour (or 1¼ cup whole wheat flour)
- ¼ cup sugar or 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Fruit Compote Topping (optional: see recipe below)
Putting It All Together
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, combine water and Breakfast Grains. Set aside and allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- Add egg and oil and mix together thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients, until just combined (do not overmix).
- Lightly grease muffin tin or line with muffin liners. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin until ⅔ full.
- Bake until a toothpick or fork stuck into middle of muffins comes out clean, approx. 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature, with or without Fruit Compote.
- Small bag frozen mixed berries
- Honey, to taste
Put ingredients in a small pot and heat until berries are warmed thoroughly. Add a squeeze of honey to taste. Drizzle on muffins just before serving.
Customize your muffins by adding any of these to the batter:
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup dried fruit
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange or lemon zest