Hearty Breakfast Grains Muffins
The whole-grain buckwheat, barley and rolled oats in our Organic Breakfast Grains make these muffins both delicious and nutritious. Customize them by folding chopped nuts or fruit into the finished batter.
- 1 pouch Patagonia Provisions Breakfast Grains (any flavor)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (or 1¼ cup whole wheat flour)
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup honey
- Zest of 1 lemon + 2 tbsp. lemon juice
Putting It All Together
- Preheat oven to 425 F with a shelf in the middle position.
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ cup hot water and Breakfast Grains. Let soak for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Add egg, oil, yogurt, honey, and lemon zest and juice to soaked Breakfast Grains and whisk thoroughly.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined (overmixing makes a tough muffin).
- Lightly grease a 12-muffin tin, including the rims. Spoon batter into the cups all the way to the top, mounding up the batter in the centers.
- Bake until the muffins rise (they won’t rise much) and start to brown, 10-12 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake until a toothpick or knife slid into the middle comes out clean, another 12-15 minutes.
- Eat warm or at room temperature, with butter, honey, and/or your favorite jams.
A Few Ways To Customize Your Muffins
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup dried fruit
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup chopped candied ginger