Hearty Breakfast Grains Muffins
The whole-grain buckwheat, barley and rolled oats in our Organic Breakfast Grains make these muffins both delicious and nutritious. In other words, they’re not cake in muffin form. Customize them by folding chopped nuts or fruit into the finished batter.
- 1 pouch Patagonia Provisions Breakfast Grains (any flavor)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (or 1¼ cup whole wheat flour)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Zest of 1 lemon + 2 tbsp. lemon juice
Putting It All Together
- Preheat oven to 425 F with a shelf in the middle position.
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ cup hot water and Breakfast Grains. Let soak for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Add egg, oil, yogurt, honey, and lemon zest and juice to soaked Breakfast Grains and whisk thoroughly.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined (overmixing makes a tough muffin).
- Lightly grease a 12-muffin tin, including the rims. Spoon batter into the cups all the way to the top, mounding up the batter in the centers.
- Bake until the muffins rise (they won’t rise much) and start to brown, 10-12 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake until a toothpick or knife slid into the middle comes out clean, another 12-15 minutes.
- Eat warm or at room temperature, with butter, honey, and/or your favorite jams.
A Few Ways To Customize Your Muffins
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup dried fruit
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup chopped candied ginger