Grains, Greens and Apple Salad
Thomas J. Story
Patagonia Provisions Organic Green Kale + KAMUT® Khorasan Wheat Savory Grains
- 1 package Organic Green Kale + KAMUT® Khorasan Wheat Savory Grains
- 2 red apples, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 12 loosely packed cups sturdy salad greens, like romaine lettuce, escarole or radicchio (or a mix)
- ½ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts or walnuts
For Apple Cider Salad Dressing
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped (about 3 tbsp.)
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. maple syrup
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Putting It All Together
- Make grains according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, make salad dressing: Put shallots and vinegar in a small jar and let shallots soften for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, close jar, and shake hard to blend it up.
- Tear greens into bite-size pieces. Put in a large bowl with the grains. Toss with just enough dressing to coat well. Add apples and nuts and toss once more.
- Pair with Château de Béru Chablis white wine.