Dr. Mayer’s Green Smoothie
A vivid green tonic with healthy plant-based fats, protein, fiber, polyphenols, vitamins, and a palate-tingling dose of anti-inflammatory spices (try the lower amount first). Gastroenterologist Emeran Mayer, author of the best-selling book The Mind-Gut Connection (2016), gave us this recipe.
- 1 cup chilled flax or hemp milk
- ½ cup each chopped frozen spinach, chopped fresh kale, and chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. almond butter
- About 2 tsp. chopped mint leaves
- ½ to 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ to ½ tsp. each ground cloves and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon juice and salt to taste
Putting It All Together
- Put all ingredients in a blender (flax milk first) and blend until very smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.