Chili with Polenta
This easy, quick chili combo tastes like old-fashioned tamale pie, but with polenta standing in for cornbread. It works well for car camping because there’s so little to pack—and because it’s fast and very satisfying.
- 1 pack Patagonia Provisions Organic Red Bean Chili
- ½ cup medium or coarse-grind cornmeal
- ¼ tsp. salt
- about 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Putting It All Together
- Make the chili according to package directions and set aside, covered.
- Put cornmeal, salt and 1 ½ cups of water in a medium pot and stir to mix.
- Cook cornmeal over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it bubbles, thickens and pulls away from sides of the pan (about 5 minutes).
- Spoon polenta into bowls. Thin chili with a little more hot water if needed and pour it onto the polenta. Top with cheese.