Baked Sweet Potatoes with Shredded Beef and BBQ Savory Seeds
Food Styling: Fanny Pan. Prop Styling: Claire Mack Photo By Aubrie Pick
This is more of a method than a recipe. Make it vegan by using mushrooms or tofu (smoked tofu is especially good) and cashew cream instead of sour cream.
- Sweet potatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Your favorite crushed or ground chile
- Kosher salt
- Ground cumin
- Leftover cooked beef, pork or chicken, shredded; or sliced sautéed mushrooms or tofu
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Patagonia Provisions Classic Barbecue Organic Savory Seeds
- Chopped chives or green onions
Putting It All Together
- Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub sweet potatoes, prick skins with a fork, and rub all over with oil. Set on a baking sheet and bake until a fork slides in with no resistance, 40 to 55 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Per cup of meat (or mushrooms), stir in 1 tsp. each of chile, salt, and cumin and let sizzle a second. (Use about half the seasonings if you’re using smoked tofu, since it’s preseasoned.) Add meat and fry, stirring, until browned and a little crispy.
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise. Rake with a fork a few times to fluff up the insides. Top with seasoned oil, a sprinkle of salt, sour cream, meat, seeds and chives.