Southwest Black Bean Chili
Fresh veggies and ground meat add depth and substance to this hearty Black Bean Chili recipe created by Tracy On, Chef and Cafe Manager at Patagonia Headquarters.
Skill level: easy
Makes 4 servings
- 1 package Patagonia Provisions Black Bean Soup
- ½ lb groundmeat (such as turkey or beef)
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ jalapeno, seeds removed and diced (optional)
- 1 4oz can greenchiles
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- ¼ cup masa harina, with a little warm water to make a paste
- Cilantro Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- Queso fresco, crumbled
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- In a large pot on medium high heat, brown ground meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Add onion, jalapeno and chilesand cover pan to sweat until onion is translucent.
- Add tomato and cook approx.5 more minutes.
- Add 2 ½ cups of water (OR substitute half the water with beer if desired) and bring to a boil.
- Add Black Bean Soup and masa harina, stir to combine thoroughly. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with Cilantro Vinaigrette and crumbled Queso Fresco.
For Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 1bunch cilantro, leaves only
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 green onions, diced
- ¼ cup quesofresco
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add water as needed until you reach desired consistency.