Hearty Breakfast Grains Muffins
Warm up your morning with these hearty breakfast grains muffins.
INGREDIENTS FOR 12 MUFFINS
- 1 package Breakfast Grains (any flavor)
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cup all-purpose (or 1¼ cup whole wheat) flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Optional fruit compote topping: small bag frozen organic berries, honey
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- In a small bowl, combine water and breakfast grains. Set aside. Let the mixture soak for 15 minutes. Add the eggs and oil and mix together thoroughly.
- While the grains are soaking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Lightly grease muffin tin or line with muffin liners
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients, until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold in the in any optional ingredients listed below with a spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins until 2/3 full.
- Bake until a toothpick stuck in the muffins comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before taking the muffins out.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Customize these delicious muffins by adding any of the following:
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup dried fruit
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange or lemon peel
- 1 very ripe banana in place of the sugar
For Simple Fruit Compote Topping:
- Small package mixed frozen organic berries
- Put in pot and heat until berries are melted, produces liquid, and berries are warm
- Add a squeeze of honey to your liking
- Place muffins on plate and drizzle